Monday, November 14, 2011

Meditation Monday: A Chair & A Midtown Waterfall

For today's Meditation Monday, I'm borrowing a page from someone else's book.  The best part is, I don't even know this guy. 

With a few spare minutes in between a lunch and an afternoon meeting, I happened upon a lovely outdoor space on 53rd between 5th & Madison.  The draw for this space is that there is a full length waterfall/fountain.  Talk about a Zen spot in the middle of mid-town craziness.

I thought, what a great place to just sit and meditate.  And then I realized, someone else beat me to it.  There he was--conservative blue suit; white shirt; blue tie.  He was sitting in a chair, by himself in front of the water.  That's all he was doing.  Just sitting.  Sometimes he'd look at the water--and sometimes he'd simply look down or off into space.  He wasn't on his blackberry, chatting or scarfing down food as others around him were (myself included). He was just sitting.

What struck me was how calm and yet how purposeful he looked.  Very peaceful and serene.  I have no idea how long he was there prior to my arrival but he sat like that for at least 10 minutes. 

What a great role model.  A business type who was taking some time out of his day to just sit in silence and stare at a waterfall.  Maybe he was reviewing a presentation he was about to give or go over a difficult conversation he needed to have.  Who knows?

What I do know is that I took note of him and was impressed by him.  I thought, if he can do it, so can I--and so can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment