Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Today is my 38th birthday. I've been talking about starting a blog for, oh I don't know, four years now. So, today is the day to walk the walk.

My work involves helping people balance work, life, health and happiness and that will be the main content for this blog. Now, here's the big secret........ I have totally self-selected into my work because we teach what we most need to learn. This blog will journal my quest to balance all of these things and share the resources and lessons I learn along the way. I'm tempted to call it a struggle but perhaps it's more of a continual dance that sometimes looks fluid and has flow while other times is choppy and off tempo.

Every year, I use my birthday as a day to take stock. My quick 2010 inventory resassures me that I have many things to be grateful for. A career I love with fantastic clients & colleagues; amazing family and friends who make me feel special on my birthday and all year long; and a significant other who writes me special birthday poetry and takes care of me (and that's no easy feat!!). This reflection gives me a sense of security that as I get older, I'm moving forward. Birthdays can make us feel simultaneously old and panicked yet young and accomplished. So much time has passed yet we have all the time in the world.

I don't do New Year's resolutions. I pick themes for each year instead. This year, my theme is breaking old habits that get in the way of my personal growth. To go with my theme, I always write a mantra for the year. Here's my 2010 mantra:

I commit to live in a happier, healthier, higher way by honoring the power of choice, respecting my instincts and embracing the warrior within.

Six months in, I think I've done a decent job. My birthday promise to myself is to pick this up a few notches.

I'm excited to see how this manifests itself.

Thanks for reading this inaugural post!!!

1 comment:

  1. This is great, Di! If the consulting goes south, I recommend a writing career!

    ReplyDelete